Nederlands Engels
Facebook Twitter RSS

Work in the USA

Working in the U.S. can be a very enriching experience. The American labor ethics and office culture differ fundamentally from the Dutch culture. Some industries in the States are also a bit ahead of the Netherlands. This makes it fun and useful to spend some time in the U.S. for work or an internship. However, this is not easy to arrange. Just like people from outside the EU cannot work in the Netherlands without a work permit, foreigners cannot work without a permit in the U.S. either. People who would like to work in one of the medical professions must meet additional requirements.

Finding a job in the U.S.

Finding a job in the U.S. from the Netherlands, has become a lot easier since the introduction of the Internet. There are many websites dedicated to matching job openings with employees. They are easy to find if you use a search engine. You might also decide to post your résumé online so that employers are able to contact you.
Of course, it is also possible to send application letters via e-mail. If you do not know where to start looking for a job, you can make an appointment to visit our Documentation Center in order to work with Associations Unlimited. This is an online database which contains information about all of the associations in the U.S., many of which are professional organizations. Also, you can take a look at recent job openings at colleges and universities in the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Getting a work visa for the U.S.

A permament work permit for the US is also known as a "green card". Each year, the American government gives away 55,000 green cards by means of a lottery. Read more about participating in this lottery on the website of the American embassy. If you do not have a green card and wish to work in the U.S., you will need a temporary work visa. There are several categories of work visas. In most cases, the employer will have to apply for the visa with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). This procedure can take several months and requires a lot of paper work. If the employer gets cold feet, it might be wise to hire the services of an immigration advisory firm.Trainees or interns usually go to the States on a J-1 visa for exchange visitors. The form required for this type of visa, the DS-2019, can only be obtained from a sponsor organization. Read more about this in our information on internships.

Working in the U.S. in the medical sector

It is not possible to work in the U.S. as a medical doctor, nurse, dentist, physical therapist, etc. without a license to work in the U.S.. In order to get a license, one needs to take one or more exams. Sometimes, it will even be necessary to take additional course work as well. Requirements for licensure differ by state. More information on licensing procedures can therefore best be obtained from the professional board of the state in which you would like to practice. Addresses can be found in the Fulbright Center Documentation Center or on the Internet.